Friday, September 5, 2008

WE HAVE FINISHED 2175 DONE






Hi Everyone

Just wanted to let everyone know that Patty and I have finished our hike of the Appalachian Trail.

We crossed the 100 mile Wilderness this past week and climbed up Mount Katahdin today.

The Wilderness was not as much wilderness as we thought it would be but we ended up carrying almost 8 days of food to get through it.

We climbed Katahdin today and it was quite a climb. Over 4000 vertical feet and a lot of bouldering. We both survived and are not on crutches. I have posted a few pictures from today and the past week.

We are going to Bangor tomorrow and will take some vacation time. We hope to be back in MN late next week.

Thanks to everyone for following along on our travels and for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. I know it helped both of us on a couple of the climbs we made up and down the mountains.

I still plan on posting our gear list at some point when I have more time. Right now we are at the Appalachian Cafe in Millinocket Maine.

Pictures I have posted are as follows:

1. Looking at Mt Katahdin from 10 miles away as we crossed the Penobscot River. We camped here on Wed Night.
2. Patty finally getting Smores the night before we climb the big K
3. Jeff getting a beer the night before we climb the big K, more trail magic
4. Patty climbing
5. At the top. It was a little cloudy with visibility at about 20 yards

5 comments:

lgerms said...

Patty and Jeff
Congratulations!!!
You two are amazing!
We enjoyed following your journey and vicariously hiking with you.
what a wonderful accomplishment
Lisa and Peter Germscheid

Unknown said...

Congratulations !

. . . and you did it the hard way. NO SLACKS.

I wish we wouldn't have missed you coming off of Katahdin. Pat arrived on Friday and I wanted you to meet her.

We are back home now recovering.

Daddy-O

Kevin said...

Hey Red Dog,
Nice work on the AT. Magellan here, the guy you met on the trail in NY, who was planning on a Winnipeg to the Gulf paddle. I am currently in Mankato, MN and wanted to see if you had any interest in paddling along for a bit. Drop me a line @ adventure@kevinknieling.com

Media Duck said...

Hi Patty & Jeff,
I wanted to see if you had anything posted yet for the newest crossing! We saw live video from Pebble beach yesterday and it looked as if the wind off the beach might push Jeff over the mountains. I hope all is going well and I can't wait to hear from you.
Love, JoAnn

Jenny said...

Congrats!! I found this link info at the ATC...I had no idea...cool idea Red Dog! You rock! Hope you and Lucky Dog are doing well!! Peace,
Peanut:)