Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hanover NH 1732 done and 442 to go

Hi Everyone and goodby VerMUD

Except for the last two days we had a pretty wet and muddy week. I almost had to put VT as my second least favorite state just after PA. I am posting today live from the Dartmouth Outing Club Office, http://www.dartmouth.edu

,
After a great stay at the GreenMountain House, we were dropped off in a down pour and we were rained on all day on the 24th. You could tell which way you were going on the trail by the way that the water was flowing. If the water was flowing at you it was uphill and with you it was down hill. The flats were just mud and the trails were really rivers. We both really questioned our judgement about not staying another day in town but we hiked 15 miles and we were dry for the evening. This was the wettest we had been and the new waterproofing on our boots did little good as we were wet on both sides of the boots and we stopped a couple of times to wring out our socks.

On the 25th it was a little sunnier and we dried out some, but the trails were still pretty muddy and wet.

We did an 18 mile day on the 26th and climbed up the 2nd tallest peak in VT, Killington Peak. It is also a very large ski resort and the Gondolas were running. We had supper at a restaraunt on the top of the mountain and then hiked another 4 miles at a shelter around 7pm. We decided to stay in the shelter as we were the only ones there and it was late enough no one else was going to show. It was a good thing we did, because the sky just opened up and we must have received another 2 inches of rain. The thunder and lightening were fantastic.

On the 27th we did a resupply in Killington and stopped at a great deli for breakfast/lunch. These places seem to really draw us in. We only hiked 12 miles, on the muddy root filled trails.

We did a 22 mile day yesterday the 28th and then tented. The trail was much smooter and actually kind of nice with lots of pine needles for footing and lots of old growth pine for views. As I said the last two days really helped my opinion of VT.

We crossed the Conneticut river about an hour ago and crossed from Norwich VT into Hanover NH and Dartmouth was right on the trail. Not sure yet where we are going to stay tonight. We need to resupply and do laundry and take a shower. There seems to be a strong odor wherever I go and I can not belive it is really me. Places are hard to come by to stay in this college town, but, I am sure we will come up with something.

The computer I am on will not allow me to post any pictures. If I find a computer later today, I will post some of our past weeks wet pictures.


We will be in Gorham NH in 4 days and then into the White Mountains. We have gear that we shipped ahead waiting for us in Gorham. REI is also going to replace my hiking poles for the second time. They have been great to deal with on this and are shipping me new poles no questions asked.

Until next time.

Red Dog and Lucky Dog

No comments: